Summary of Report Builder
The Report Builder tool is available to any Site Manager or Site Admin. The feature allows a user to select various measures and dimensions to display an ad hoc report in table format. Users will only have access to study data for studies in which they are assigned members. These reports can be saved for easy re-running, shared to any other user on the account, and all data can be exported to csv.
Anatomy of a Report
The “Measures” dropdown displays options for numeric values to add to reports. Currently the list is limited to summed values of various data points. These include:
- Contact Log Count
- A summed value of all the contact logs the current user has permission to access
- Includes any study specific contact logs
- All global contact logs will be included as long as the data is not broken down by a study dimension
- Event Count
- A summed value of all the participant events across the studies the current user has access to
- Events are study specific data points and can not be combined with global only dimensions
- Participant Count
- A summed value of all the participants on the account
- When combined with study specific dimensions the count will only include participants assigned to the current user’s studies
The Dimensions dropdown lists all the available data points to group your measures by. You can also generate a list using only dimensions. The list includes all the default participant profile variables as well as any custom variable on your account. Multiple dimensions can be selected for the same report. Note that the Report Builder will allow you to select any dimension even if it may not directly relate to a selected measure.
Any value selected from the Dimensions dropdown will appear as a column on the report table. Only select dimensions for which you want to see data displayed. If you only want to limit the report to certain types of information then use the filters option.
There are different types of dimensions, as outlined below, and will affect the results of the report depending on the current user’s permission as well as the dimension type.
- Participant Profile Data
- This data, such as ethnicity or age, is available for all participants regardless of their study participation
- Data will be aggregated and grouped by the selected dimension across all studies
- Study Specific Details
- These dimensions include event information that can only be generated from within a study.
- When adding study specific dimensions to a report only the data for the current user’s assigned studies will appear
- Global Data
- Some data can be generated from within a study or directly from within the registry, such as Contact Logs.
- When global data is displayed on a table it will include all data marked as global as well as all study specific data generated by the studies the user has access to
- Custom Variables
- Custom variables can be study specific or global
- Global custom variables are available for any Report Builder user
- Study specific custom variables will only display results for the user’s assigned studies.
Any Report can be filtered based on select date fields. Use the Time dropdown to search for and select any date, including custom variables. Once selected the date range will default to “Today”. Simply click on “Today” to select any preset range, or use the “Custom” option to choose your own date range. The report will immediately be filtered based on the selected date.
You can also view the dates on the table using the Grouping option. The “w/o grouping” default will not display any dates. However, changing this option will allow aggregating your data by Year, Month, etc, and will add the dates to the report.
Use the Filters dropdown to select any measure, dimension, or data point to narrow the report results by. The dropdown will list all the available fields to filter on, regardless of what Measures and Dimensions are already displayed on the report. Once a filter field is selected use the resulting dropdown to choose a comparator. The comparators will depend on the type of filter selected, but could include:
- Does Not Contain
- Does Not Equal
- Is Set
- Is Not Set
- Number Comparators (>, >=, <, <=)
Once a comparator is selected simply type in options into the final text field. Multiple text strings can be entered to create an “OR” filter. Add multiple filters and these will be combined with an “AND” relationship.
Use the “Sort” dropdown to change the way the data is displayed on the table. Here you can change the “None” option to either ascending or descending.
Drag and drop the data points from the “x” column to the “y” column to change them from rows to columns on the table.
If there are multiple measures or dimensions the order they are displayed on the table can be changed by dragging and dropping the names on the pivot dropdown.
The options tab displays a checkbox to “Fill Missing Dates”. When adding a time dimension with grouping, by default, all groups will display regardless of whether there is data for the selected date group. Unchecking the “Fill Missing Dates” option will display only the date groups which have data populated.
Note that pivot order only controls how the table is displayed in the application. Pivot options are ignored when exporting data to a csv.
Reports need to have a measure for the pivot to work.
Running a Report
Once you have selected a measure or dimension from the dropdowns a “Run Report” button will become active. Anytime the button appears blue and clickable there have been changes made to your selections and you will need to select the button for the table to reflect these changes.
Select this button to see the reports data displayed on a table. Any changes you make to your measures, dimensions, time, filters, sort, or pivot options will require re-running the report. You can make multiple selections at a time before selecting the Run Report button.