This error, found by participants when filling out the screener form, is caused by duplicate participant records in your registry. After a participant submits the form, this error appears on the Exit page if the submission was not successful. If a participant encounters this screen after filling out the form, their submission data was not saved.
To fix this issue, follow these trouble shooting steps to find duplicates in your registry, which will then open the screener form. Note: a duplicate is defined as two participant profiles with the same First Name / Last Name / Birthdate and/or the same Global ID.
Resolving the Issue
To resolve this issue:
- Go to the Export tool under the Site Admin tab. Select the "Global Data Only (No Study Data)" option. Only the Global ID, First Name, Last Name, and Birthdate variable boxes need to be checked. Click the Download button to download your data.
- The Registry will download as an Excel spreadsheet. Open the Excel spreadsheet to see your downloaded data.
- Under the Data tab, use the Sort function to put your participants into alphabetical order by last name.
- Once they are in alphabetical order, highlight the Last Name column and under the Home tab use the Conditional Formatting tool to identify duplicate values.
- Clicking OK highlights all duplicates in Column C as red.
- Search through the highlighted column to see if there are any duplicate last names. Should you find a pair of duplicate last names, check if the First Name and Date of Birth are identical. Once you find such a duplicate, go into your registry and delete one of the duplicate participants. Note: Before doing this, review the participant you will delete and save any important data into the participant you are not deleting.
After finding and reconciling all duplicates in your Registry, your screener form should start accepting responses. Should you have any more trouble, perform the same process for the Global IDs column to find if there are any duplicates in that column (however those are very rare).
NOTE: Make sure to combine the records in your Registry. If you combine/delete a participant in a specific study, it will only affect that study and not resolve the issue in the Registry!